State And Local Tax (SALT) | SALES, USE, AND VAT tAXES
With an unprecedented amount of global indirect tax reform, including a broadening of the tax base, increasing tax rates, states focus on e-commerce sales and the recent Supreme Court decision in the now seminal Wayfair case, more companies are scrutinizing their indirect tax responsibilities.
SimekScott's indirect tax services provide our clients with a comprehensive approach to determining their indirect tax burdens and opportunities. We collaborate with our clients to gain a thorough understanding of their operations and use that knowledge to identify risk areas and sustainable planning opportunities related to sales and use taxes, value added taxes (VAT), goods and services taxes (GST), federal excise taxes, telecommunications taxes and other transaction taxes.
We take a holistic approach and provide timely, consistent and thorough insights and guidance to address our clients' multistate indirect tax needs in order to achieve our clients' short and long term business objectives.
We will work with our client's to identify indirect tax risks and opportunities related to:
- State Audit Defense: Working with taxing authorities to mitigate sales and use tax audit assessments.
- State Tax Nexus Analysis and Exposure: Analyzing current in-state activities to determine if a current and/or historical sales and use tax filing requirement exists.
- State Voluntary Disclosure (VDA): Working anonymously with state taxing authorities to address our clients' historical multistate sales and use tax exposures.
- State Taxability Review: Analyzing statutes and regulations to determine whether sales or use tax applies to a product or service.
- Process And System Review: Reviewing and streamlining the transaction tax process by implementing new procedures, software products and controls.
- Reverse Sales Tax Audit (RSTA): Review and analyze: historical sales tax return filings; corporate structure; historical purchases and sales; lease contracts; use tax payments; historical sales and use tax audits; and key employee interviews to identify sales tax savings, areas of over-payment and refund opportunities.
- ASC 450 Reserve Analysis: Analyzing transaction taxes to determine whether liabilities exist and assisting with booking a reserve where appropriate.